Monday, October 4, 2010

In Appreciation of #sachat and Debra & Tom

I haven't participated in #sachat for all that long - I think I started in late spring - and have to say that in the beginning I didn't get this "Twitter thing." For the first few chats I couldn't even FIND the questions everyone was answering never mind being able to READ the tweets before another dozen popped up!  But once my head stopped spinning, I found the conversations fascinating and very informative. Before long I was joining in and retweeting and now look forward to #sachat each week - when the job doesn't get in the way! 

As a new participant, I marveled at this seemingly tight knit community of people, many of whom haven't even met face to face yet, and the collective wisdom everyone so readily shared. At first #sachat offered professional development and a wealth of resources, but after a few non-chat evenings of conversation it was clear that #sachat was so much more - humor, support, encouragement, comardie in my doctoral journey, motivation to stay healthy, recipes, and the opportunity to make the world of student affairs a bit smaller and more intimate across the miles.  In the third year of no conference travel for my institution, this community is truly a welcome haven  and fantastic resource!  

I marveled at the idea that someone had the kind of imagination to think something like this up, wondering how it got started, and only recently discovered that this was the brainchild of  Debra Sanborn and Tom Krieglstein, to whom this blog is dedicated today. Thank you both for creating such a wonderful resource and student affairs community!  I am honored to be a part of it and learn from so many great professionals who bring a wealth of ideas and perspectives to the "deck" every day. I really get this "Twitter thing" now!

For all you do for all of us - Thanks Deb!  Thanks Tom!

With much appreciation,

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment